| Justin I, also called Justin the Thracian was Eastern Roman emperor from 518 to 527. Born to a peasant family, he rose through the ranks of the army to become commander of the imperial guard and when Emperor Anastasius I Dicorus died, he out-maneouvered rivals and was elected at age 68. His reign is most significant for the founding of the Justinian dynasty that included his nephew, Justinian I, and three succeeding emperors.
 | Around the time of the coins' burial, the area was populated with the remains of the Roman Empire. In the fourth century the 7 coins could buy 300 kg of wheat, 1 horse, 10 pigs or 3000 liters of wine. 7 gold coins was about a standard Roman soldier's annual salary. Varna, the area's main city, is famous as the site where the oldest golden treasure in the world was found. | |  |
|
No comments:
Post a Comment